Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Getting Lost in Venice

I'm pleased to say that we haven't gotten lost in Venice. Of course, that's by my personal definition of getting lost, i.e. not having any idea where you are or what to do next. As many of you know, I tend to get lost a lot when I travel. I've managed to do it in such varied locales as Tokyo (lots of times), the Greek island of Lesbos, and San Francisco. So, I've had consider what it means to be lost. For example, if you're intentionally wandering in a general direction without a specific plan, you're not lost. We did that when we wandered the shopping area between San Marco and Rialto. You're not lost if you just go the wrong way, since you can backtrack and go the right way. That happened to us on the way home from the restaurant on the first night. ("This doesn't look familiar." "Oh, whoops, sorry. I guess we should have gone down that way.")

The problem is that there are "streets" in Venice that are the correct route (as marked by the official signs), that would be considered too narrow to be alleys in any other city. So of course you miss stuff. I mean, there's no way they meant for us to go down that little thing - it's way too narrow.

No comments: