Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bled

Last summer, after Debbie and I went to Nafplio in Greece, I described it as the suspiciously perfect Greek town, as if aliens had created it to draw us in, but had made the fatal error of making it too perfect. Andy (my brother) has told me that he had a similar feeling after visiting Bled.

The people of the town thoughtfully made a scale model of the area. (I guess that's just something they do here in Slovenia).



Note that the town is built at one end of a mountain lake. It's in the Julian Alps about 100 km from Ljubljana.

The lake has an island in the middle. You can see it in the next picture just past the gondola. (By the way, did I mention that there are gondolas?!?)



The island has a church on it.



Oh, and by the way, there's a bluff overlooking the town. And the bluff has a castle on it!



They had me going until they put in the castle. I mean, that's just piling on, right?

I may have to try to do a set of pictures to stich into a panorama shot, because the pictures I have so far don't really convey the full beauty of it.

No comments: