Monday, November 5, 2007

Baltimore and DC

Clearly we're no longer in Europe, but last weekend I travelled to DC so I thought I'd post some of the photos. I also spent an afternoon in Baltimore with my mother-in-law and father-in-law. We walked around the Inner Harbor -- I think the last time I was there was at least 4-5 years ago. There are several new restaurants and shops in the area.

Here is the Baltimore Aquarium, though we didn't go inside:


This is the U.S.S. Constellation, which is a restored Civil War sloop-of-war:


Picture overlooking the Inner Harbor:


And here is Joanne:


The next morning I walked around D.C. and did a little shopping. Zara and H&M now share the old Woodward & Lothrop building at the 1000 block of F St. NW. I was meeting some friends for lunch at Dupont Circle, so I decided to walk there and pass by some of the sights. Fortunately, there aren't as many tourists in November.

Here is the Treasury Department with a statue of Albert Gallatin. I've learned that he was a Congressman and one of the earlier Secretaries of the Treasury.



Nearby is Lafayette Square. I'm not sure who is commemorated in the statue on the southeast corner of the square:


Lafayette Square is across the street from the White House. I decided to take the picture from across the street, partly because of the small crowd of tourists and partly because I prefer to keep my distance from the current administration.



It only took about 45 minutes to walk to Dupont Circle, thought it probably would have been faster if I'd taken a slightly different route. On the other hand, I'm sure I saved time by jaywalking with impunity. :)

No comments: